Thursday, January 22, 2015

My Shikakai Powder Experience


 
 
Wanted to share with you my experience cleansing/clarifying/conditioning my hair using the Hesh Shikakai Natural Powder. The following link will help you learn more about this fruit powder http://silverq.hubpages.com/hub/Shikakai-grow-your-hair-fast-and-healthy-using-Shikakai-fruit-powder
 
Ingredients (can vary depending on need):
Shikakai powder
Amla/Coconut/Olive Oil
Aloe Vera Juice
Bragg's ACV
Coconut Milk
Plastic mixing container & spoon & applicator bottle
(*Note: Avoid use of metal utensils they will cause a reaction)

 
So coming straight out of my 7wk twist, spray & bag challenge, I must say my scalp was unusually very clean w/minimal buildup. I did do a ACV rinse 1x around 4wks but other than that I did not wash during this period.
 
My hair was moisturized and felt extremely soft (Pic1).  I needed to thoroughly cleanse & moisturize, so I chose this approach.   After allowing the mixture to sit for half hour(to activate), I sectioned my hair in fours & applied focusing on my scalp (Pic2). Placed on a plastic cap & steamer for about 45 mins, then rinsed in the shower. There's really no need to condition afterwards, but I did using my staple:Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products - Enhancing Herbal Conditioner.   Due to my hair length, type etc it took an obnoxious 8 hrs of detangling/washing/setting...unfortunately I get alot of single strand knots, thus highly recommend detangling prior. 
 
Styled:  Basic two-strand twist(8-10) using my staples Olive/Castor/Coconut Oils & sealed with Unrefined Raw Shea Butter Mix(Pic3).  
 
*Notes: (1) this can be very messy to apply, use of a plastic applicator bottle definitely helps (2) was difficult to fully rinsing this out, the powder has tiny fruit seeds. I have used a similar clay wash previously from Hesh, which was seedless. I did enjoy the end result so much that the seeds were not a deal breaker :)


 
 

1 comment: